Re: 3D video card recommendations

From: Mark Knecht
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 10:10:37 EST

On 11/4/05, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm currently putting together (ordering parts for) another machine. It
> will be a AMD64 X2. Now I'm looking into a video card for this. Up till
> now, I've always used NVidia. But I also want to test 3D acceleration
> under Ingo's -rt patch. So now I need something that does not have a
> priority module.
>
> I'm not much of a gamer, although I do play every so often. So I don't
> need the highest quality card, but I also want something that is still
> pretty good. For example, I currently have a NVidia GeForce 6800 GT
> card. So I'm hoping to get something equivalent.
>
> I'm looking at the ATI Radeons.
>
> Any recommendations? (links to info would also be nice ;-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Steve

Not a recommendation. Just a point to be aware of. The ATI Radeons, to
get the best acceleration, seem to require that you use the ATI closed
source drivers. Currently I haven't found an ATI closed source driver
that supports 2.6.14. so I'm forced to use the Xorg radeon driver. I
have no idea if this is very good. I don't think so as my glxgear
numbers are pretty low. Much lower than the ATI driver running on
2.6.13-X.

NOTE: I'm horrible at setting up all the 3D stuff as I don't
understand what to chose and what to avoid. This could be far better
than the results I get!

- Mark