Re: XFS information leak during crash

From: Nathan Scott
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 19:38:08 EST

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 01:19:10AM +0100, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> >> either). Does XFS support a something like ext3's "data=ordered" mount
> >> option?
> >
> > No, it doesn't.
>
> BTW. Why does it sometimes overwrite files with zeros after crash and
> journal replay then? I thought that this was because it tries to avoid
> users seeing uninitialized data.

No, thats kinda related but not the same issue, its more to do
with a truncate (or open(O_TRUNC)) followed by buffered writes
to an existing file, which some applications do, and how that
interacts poorly with delayed allocation (nothing is "overwritten
with zeroes", its actually just a "hole").

But I do intend to get _some_ work done today, so you can google
for a more detailed answer there if you're interested.

cheers.

--
Nathan