Re: 3ware 9550SX problems - mke2fs incredibly slow writing lastthird of inode tables

From: Alex Bligh - linux-kernel
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 17:40:25 EST

--On 01 November 2005 15:54 -0700 "Jeff V. Merkey" <jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I see this problem if you have the array configured for RAID 5 and you
have not pushed the F8 key during array config after setting up
the array. Try rebooting, setting the Raid 5 for INIT (Press F8) and it
goes away, but the whole array will reinit itself. There seems to be
some sort of problem in their RAID 5 logic and you can setup a RAID 5
stripe set, but init doesn't finish or gets in a wierd state during
reboot. It seems confined to 9500 series controllers, but I have also
seen this behavior on the 8000 series drivers as well. I don't know
if you are using RAID 5 , but I have seen this problem on RAID 5 configs
only.

I don't know when it's meant to reinit itself, but F8 does exit here,
and an immediate exit to boot up. The manual describes some RAID configs
need initialization in BIOS, but some (allegedly) initialize as the
OS loads. Then it contradicts itself and says RAID-5 is ready for
use w/o initialization. Whatever, it does nothing on boot, until a
mkfs, and then the world grinds very slowly.

--
Alex Bligh