Re: PAE bug in 2.4?!

From: Sergey Vlasov
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 12:42:26 EST

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 18:49:55 +0300 Ilya wrote:

> I've ASUS P4P800-Mx-EAYVZ motherboard and have to use a 2GB memory. But
> after including PAE support in kernel it almost twice... Surely, i
> understand, that it's inevitable, the slowing of PAE, but twice?! Does
> anybody faced this problem? Or is there some bug in PAE?! I tested the
> PAE at some other motherboards, but only on this model on asus it works
> strange)
[skip]
> Here is the difference in kernels:
> khext@al:~$ diff linux-2.4.31/.config linux-2.4.31-PAE/.config
> 61,62c61,62
> < CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
> < # CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
> ---
> > # CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not set
> > CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
> 64c64,65
> < # CONFIG_HIGHMEM is not set
> ---
> > CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
> > CONFIG_HIGHIO=y

CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G does not enable PAE - it is CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G which
does it. So the slowdown must be due to something other than PAE.

Please also show the start of dmesg output - lines which look like:

BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
BIOS-e820: 0000000000000000 - 000000000009fc00 (usable)
xxxMB HIGHMEM available.
xxxMB LOWMEM available.

Also show the output of "cat /proc/mtrr". Some systems have buggy MTRR
setup done by BIOS, which can lead to such slowness when using the full
amount of memory. Such problems may be fixed by a BIOS upgrade, or
worked around by specifying the mem=... option to avoid using the memory
which is not covered by MTTRs (if the amount of such misconfigured
memory is not excessively large).