Re: AMD Geode GX/LX Support (Refreshed)

From: Jordan Crouse
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 18:07:45 EST

> > config X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM
> Does this mean you've now done actual performance analysis on whether
> this is a good idea for Geode GX/LX ?

Ok - here is some data that should put your mind at ease. I pulled
the checksum functions from the kernel, stuck them in userland, and
ran each one N times at a variety of byte sizes (where N=10,000), took the
start and stop times with gettimeofday(), and added it all up. The results
for the Geode LX platfrom are below.

I think the data shows that the ppro checksum is indeed useful on the
Geode LX platform (and the GX should have similar results, since the
pipelines are pretty close). Unless I made a really boneheaded mistake
in my app, I think we should leave X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM enabled for Geode
GX/LX.

Jordan

Starting non-ppro test....
Bytes Time Avg (usec/run)