Re: Would I be violating the GPL?

From: Rob Landley
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 17:05:30 EST

On Tuesday 01 November 2005 11:44, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> No, don't take the code without the suppliers permission. It contains
> trade secrets and you can get into a ot of trouble if there's an
> agreement between the two of you. Contact the supplier. Tell them to
> abstract away thre kernel headers, or rewrite to remove them, or grant
> you persmission to open source the driver. The UK is the land of
> frivilous lawsuits (I should know a lot about this :-) ), so don;t
> expose yourself and breach any agreements.
>
> Jeff

Translation to what a sane person might have said:

Make sure you aren't bound by any non-disclosure agreements before posting a
driver specification for public viewing. Writing up such a spec from the
source code (if the supplier didn't give you one) is probably a darn good
idea either way, for your own internal maintenance purposes. If you have the
spare cycles...

Rob