Re: [BUG 2579] linux 2.6.* sound problems (SOLVED)

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 16:43:46 EST

Lee Revell wrote:
On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 18:18 +0100, Patrizio Bassi wrote:

Jeffrey Hundstad ha scritto:

Since you're going to 250 Hz. Please, if you would, see if you can
tell any performance change and report that as well. I'm more than a
little skeptical that you'll notice. BTW: Your battery life should be
a little better at 100 Hz also.

sincerely i can notice that task and application switching is a bit slower.
i have a 500mhz cpu so i think i can notice a bit the difference.
i can't estimate it mmm...
i'll say no more that 5-8%.
but i don't know where i'm gaining speed..

Um, wasn't a consensus reached at OLS two years ago that the target for
desktop responsiveness would be 1ms which is impossible with HZ=100 or
250?

Go back and reread the thread in the archives. The short answer is that he who controls the code controls the decisions. I just fix it everywhere, since 250 is too fast for optimal battery life, too slow for optimal response or multimedia, and not optimal for any server application I run (usenet, dns, mail, http, firewall).

A perfect compromise is one which makes everyone reasonably happy; this is like the XOR of that, it leaves everyone slightly dissatisfied. ;-)

I'm convinced that Linus choose this value to make everyone slightly unhappy, so development of various variable rate and tick skipping projects would continue. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have happened :-(

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)