Re: [BUG 2579] linux 2.6.* sound problems

From: Tomasz Torcz
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 09:18:18 EST

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 04:30:48PM +0100, Patrizio Bassi wrote:
> when playing audio and using a bit the harddisk (i.e. md5sum of a 200mb
> file)
> i hear noises, related to disk activity. more hd is used, more chicks
> and ZZZZ noises happen.
>
> linux 2.4.x and windows has no problems, perfect.

I remeber similar problems with es1370 and OSS/ALSA driver. OSS were
fine, ALSA produced noise.
It turned to be PCI latency timer issues. OSS driver changed it's value
to working good values. ALSA didn't touch latency timer, and during hard
disk activity sound stuttered.
Got rid of problem by running setpci -d CARD:ID latency_timer=40
--
Tomasz Torcz 72->| 80->|
zdzichu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 72->| 80->|