Re: [Linux-NTFS-Dev] [2.6-GIT] NTFS: Release 2.1.25.

From: Yuval
Date: Mon Oct 31 2005 - 14:31:30 EST

On 10/31/05, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> What this means is that you can now run your favourite editor on an
> existing file, e.g. "vim /ntfs/somefile.txt" works fine and you can save
> your changes. Also things like running OpenOffice and editing existing MS
> Office documents works. Basically anything that does not need to create
> temporary files in the same directory as the document should work fine
> now.

How is possible to use a text editor? Aren't most of them use a temporary file?
I spent some time ago documenting it in
http://wiki.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=texteditorpitfall after it came
up on the linux-ntfs-dev mailing list (long ago). Am I wrong?

I remember Rich writing about some command of vim to disable the
temporary file feature, but you haven't mentioned that one, so I
assume it works for you "out-of-the-box".

Sincerely
-- Yuval