Re: New (now current development process)

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Oct 31 2005 - 01:23:37 EST

Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 07:14:02PM -0800, Paul Jackson wrote:
> > I think you are exagerating.
> >
> > It builds on most configs most of the time in my experience. If I
> > haven't tried a crosstool rebuild of the several defconfig arch's in a
> > week, I might expect one of the less popular archs to drop out, usually
> > for something so easy even I can figure some sort of fix or workaround.
>
> Try allmodconfig for a change... I'm doing that for mainline on a regular
> basis and even that turns into considerable amount of time. I have tried
> that for -mm and had to give up.

fud. Every -mm release is built with allmodconfig on x86 and on x86_64.
It's also cross-compiled on fat configs for alpha, ppc32, ppc64, sparc64,
arm and ia64. It's booted on x86, x86_64, ppc64 and ia64. Every release.

Yes, some tty drivers have been busted in recent releases, as described in
the release notices. That's why the tty patches are at the end of the -mm
series: so I can back them off for the allmodconfig builds.

I usually do allnoconfig and allyesconfig, too.