Re: Call for PIIX4 chipset testers

From: Petr Vandrovec
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 15:38:51 EST

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
| can you please test out this patch and report what it says in dmesg?

Here is an exotic one, from VMware (uses PIIX too). Says

PCI quirk: region 1000-103f claimed by PIIX4 ACPI
PCI quirk: region 1040-105f claimed by PIIX4 SMB
...later...
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 4 of device 0000:00:07.1

It is caused by Linux quirk which believes that SMB region needs 32 bytes, while i440BX datasheet says that 16 bytes are needed, and as we've not found any errata which would say that SMB region is 32 bytes on some revisions, system BIOS (and emulation) just allocates 16 bytes here. Thus system BIOS puts SMB at 0x1040-0x104f (you can see it below as motherboard reported resource), and IDE busmastering registers are put at 0x1050-0x105f.

But after Linux kernel quirk is executed, kernel believes that SMB and IDE regions overlap and refuse to use this region on IDE adapter. Fortunately kernel automatically moves IDE busmaster from 0x1050 to 0x1070 once IDE is activated, as you can see in the ioports output below. If you'll boot some non-Linux guest, you'll find that IDE happilly lives at 0x1050...

Petr Vandrovec

...later...
PIIX4: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:07.1
PIIX4: chipset revision 1
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later

-more /proc/ioports (I'm using sash for this test ;-))

0000-001f : dma1
0020-0021 : pic1
0040-0043 : timer0
0050-0053 : timer1