Re: [parisc-linux] [2.6 patch] parisc: "extern inline" -> "static inline"

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 10:56:26 EST

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 08:22:15AM -0700, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 02:03:01AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > "extern inline" doesn't make much sense.
>
> Are you sure? It used to. Taking just one sample, pgd_none:
>
> extern inline: alpha, parisc, s390
> static inline: frv, ppc, sh64
> define: arm, arm26, frv, h8300, m68knommu, ppc64, v850
>
> I really don't think it makes any difference. Such a function (returning
> always 0) is always going to be inlined, and the only difference between
> static inline and extern inline is what happens when it can't be inlined.

On !alpha we are defining inline to __attribute__((always_inline)) for
any non-ancient gcc making this a zero difference.

The bigger issue is that "extern inline" generates a warning with
-Wmissing-prototypes and I'm currently working on getting the kernel
cleaned up for adding this to the CFLAGS since it will help us to avoid
a nasty class of runtime errors.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.