Re: ominous git commit

From: Kyle McMartin
Date: Sat Oct 29 2005 - 11:25:06 EST

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 12:24:27AM +0200, Tim Schmielau wrote:
> It's commit message says: 'Auto-update from upstream', and it indeed seems
> to contain changes already made to the upstream tree. Would someone please
> explain to me why it shows up in Linus' tree?

If you look around the shortlog, you'll see I'm not the only person[1] with
these messages. I suspect mine was large because I pulled my linus branch
into my parisc branch, rather than vice versa. Linus explained to me that
these merge markers get created whenever a non-trivial merge occurs.
Not something to worry about, I believe.

Cheers,
Kyle

1: http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=6fbfddcb52d8d9fa2cd209f5ac2a1c87497d55b5