Re: Weirdness of "mount -o remount,rw" with write-protected floppy

From: Evgeny Stambulchik
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 08:16:55 EST

Rob Landley wrote:

It looks like one bug to me. The initial mount figures out that it's read only, and the actual writes fail correctly, but remount isn't checking for read only (and thus isn't failing).

Right, but even after remount seemingly succeeds, an attempt to write to an unwritable media should return an error nevertheless, as the corresponding syscall should fail, obviously. And it indeed happens for e.g. CDROM or an NFS volume (if you repeat all the steps from my original post, "touch" will return an error). Yet for floppy, it doesn't. I suspect that a "readonly-ness" is defined at a different level for floppy (e.g. status of the device itself, not media). This is just a wild guess.

Regards,

Evgeny