Re: 2.6.14-rc5-mm1

From: Andrew Vasquez
Date: Thu Oct 27 2005 - 11:48:56 EST

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 08:26 -0700, Andrew Vasquez wrote:
> > qlogicfc attaches to both 2100 and 2200 ISPs. It seems you're then
> > trying to load qla2xxx driver along with the 2300 and 2200 firmware
> > loader modules. The pci_request_regions() call during 2200 probing
> > fails.
>
> Hmm. This is happening because I have both qlogicfc and qla2200 as
> modules ?

Yes. You don't need (unless there is a compeling reason) to compile
qlogicfc (CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_FC) as the qla2xxx driver along with the
2200 and 2300 firmware mofules:

CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX=m
CONFIG_SCSI_QLA22XX=m
CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2300=m

will be fine.

> > Badari, is there some reason you are using qlogicfc? THe qla2xxx
> > driver supports all QLogic ISP parts.
>
> Not intentionally. I have qla2200, qla2300 cards in my machine.
> I build all the qlogic drivers as modules.

Could you send me your .config file? I have a fealing you have and
entry similar to the following:

CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_FC=m

in there. Don't compile the qlogicfc driver.

> I hate to admit it - but I do use modules for qlogic disks.

Thats fine.

> I can't seem to compile the qlogic drivers (2200, 2300) into the
> kernel and boot without problems (consistently on all my machines
> - I run into few issues):
>
> (1) Between kernels, sometimes probing order changes and my local
> disks get probed last and screws up my boot process - I don't
> think this is a qlogic problem.

Not sure there, but the removal of the qlogicfc driver could help
clear up some of the noise, like...

> (2) Sometimes, one of the driver complains something like
> "PCI region already in use" and hangs on boot.

this. the qlogicfc driver is being loaded before qla2xxx and the
supporting 2200 firmware module.

--
Andrew Vasquez