Re: Call for PIIX4 chipset testers

From: Darren Salt
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 15:25:29 EST

[Note: not subscribed. Message should have been Cc'd. M-F-T set.]

I demand that Bjørn_Mork may or may not have written...

> Darren Salt <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> $ dmesg | grep PIIX4
[irrelevant details snipped]
>> PIIX4 devres C PIO at 0100-0107
>> PIIX4 devres I PIO at 00e0-00e3
>> PIIX4 devres J PIO at 00f9-00fc

>> Machine is a Compaq Armada M700; [...]

> Interesting. The second device here is probably a SMC FDC37N971? I remember
> there used to be some hacks around because it was relocated from the
> default 0x3f0 or 0x370 to 0xe0. This affected the smc-ircc driver among
> other things.

It is, it is at 0x0E0, and it does, although the following is needed for that
driver (which I have built as a module):

# setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 3 uart none; modprobe smsc-ircc2

> See for example http://www.lrr.in.tum.de/~acher/m300/

Hmm... I've seen that page before - the backlight control program which is
available there works on my M700. (I don't remember what I was looking for at
the time; probably something to do with the graphics hardware and why atyfb
makes a complete mess of the display. Yes, it's a Rage Mobility, 1002:4c4d;
yes, I can test patches.)

[snip]
> Unfortunately both of the M300s I have around here are now stone dead,
> so I can't test the patch.

I suspect that there's a *lot* of similarity...

--
| Darren Salt | nr. Ashington, | d youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk
| Debian, | Northumberland | s zap,tartarus,org
| RISC OS | Toon Army | @
| Retrocomputing: a PC card in a Risc PC

Never, ever use repetitive redundancies.