Status of Marvell SATA driver (was Re: Trying latest sata_mv - andgetting freeze)

From: Brett Russ
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 09:48:40 EST

Eugene Crosser wrote:
My hardware is SMP Supermicro with 6 disks on
Marvell MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller (rev 03)
and the sata_mv.c is version 0.25 dated 22 Oct 2005

The thing works with "old" mvsata340 driver, but the "new" kernel with
your driver freezes when it starts to probe disks. Even Magic SysRq
does not work. The last lines I see on screen are like this:

sata_mv version 0.25
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:03.0[A] -> GSI 56 (level, low) -> IRQ 185
sata_mv(0000:02:03.0) 32 slots 8 ports unknown mode IRQ via MSI
ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x0 ctl 0xF8C22120 bmdma 0x0 irq 185
ata2: .... <same things> 0xF8C24120 ...
ata8: .... <same thing> 0xF8C38120 ...
ATA: abnormal status 0x80 on port 0xF8C2211C
... <five more lines identical to the above>
ata1: dev 0 ATA-7, max UDMA/133, 781422768 sectors: LBA48

- and at this point it freezes hard.
Any suggestions for me? Any information I can collect to help
troubleshooting?

Hey Eugene,

Thanks for the bug report. Here's the story on the Marvell SATA driver. We have custom hardware here with integrated 6081 controllers and a uniprocessor board. The driver was developed and tested solely on that platform and works very well for me. However, I haven't had the time to try it on normal 6xxx or 5xxx HBA cards (like everyone else in the world is using) or on an SMP system. It's been something I've been meaning to do for some time now.

Compounded with that, I've decided to leave my current position to pursue my career at another company (still doing Linux kernel development but in a different area). Thus, I will be less focused on the driver and might not have access to HW and specifications. I know there are others on this list who do have both of those necessary requirements for development so it's possible they can help pick up the slack.

In the meantime, try turning off SMP and seeing if that makes a difference. There still might be a problem with the spinlocks and if so it should go away in uniprocessor mode.

Thanks for your interest,
BR