Re: reference code for non-PCI libata complaint SATA for ARM boards.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Oct 25 2005 - 12:37:49 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Maw, 2005-10-25 at 17:41 +0530, Deven Balani wrote:

Hi All!

I am currently writing a low-level driver for non-PCI SATA controller
in ARM platform.which uses libata-core.c for linux-2.4.25. Can any one
tell me any reference code available under linux.

At the moment its a bit hard to do a non PCI driver because the core
code assumes that there is a device structure (or pci_dev structure) for
everything. Fixing that is a two line change for 2.6 (probably similar
for 2.4) but Jeff Garzik rejected it.

In 2.6.x, libata needs no fixes to support non-PCI devices.

An out-of-tree driver for a non-PCI embedded board exists, and works 100%. Use of struct device and dma_xxx() means it is bus-agnostic. That's how the whole system was designed to work -- and work, it does.

None of this is true in 2.4.x, of course...

Jeff