Re: /proc/kcore size incorrect ?

From: Jon Masters
Date: Mon Oct 24 2005 - 07:10:24 EST

On 10/24/05, J.A. Magallon <jamagallon@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 00:13:44 +0100, Jon Masters <jonmasters@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On 10/23/05, J.A. Magallon <jamagallon@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > BTW, any simple method to get the real mem of the box ?
> >
> > This is a typical example of using a hammer to crack a nut aka
> > modifying the kernel before giving up on userspace.

> Who talks about modifying anything ?

Your message implied that /proc/kcore needed "fixing" for your
particular application. Perhaps I missunderstood though.

> > * man -k memory
> >
> > Leading to:
> >
> > * free(1):
> > ``free displays the total amount of free and used physical and swap''
> >
> > * Or /proc/meminfo (both the same thing) - which you can trivially
> > parse using sed:
> >
> > cat /proc/meminfo | sed -n -e "s/^MemTotal:[ ]*\([0-9]*\) kB\$/\1/p"

> Do your homework.

I did, thanks!

> free gives the free amount of memory _available for the user_, ie, the
> full memory of the box minus the kernel reserved part.

If you can't use the memory, what's the point in reporting it? If
you're really bothered, parse the dmesg output.

> It looks really silly to have a motd say "wellcome to this box, it has
> 2 xeons and 1022 Mb of RAM".

Yes it does. Showing off specs like that (and in your signature) went
out of fashion a while ago :-)

Jon.