Re: 3Ware 9500S-12 RAID controller -- poor performance

From: Jon Burgess
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 16:36:19 EST

You might be interested in trying a small tool I wrote to perform some parallel write tests on different linux filesystems.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107661735307313&w=2

At the time that I wrote the tool, 18 months ago, both ext3 and reiserfsV3 performed fairly badly at handling concurrent writes and only JFS and XFS excelled. Since then I believe the ext3 performance has been greatly improved due to the block reservation scheme added in 2.6.10. AFAIK the reiserfs performance is only addressed in reiserfsV4.

The test code is fairly trivial and could be easily adapted to simulate other workloads (like a web server) to help to optimise your filesystem and driver performance.

tiobench provides another threaded IO test http://tiobench.sourceforge.net/

Jon