Re: Instability in kernel version 2.6.12.5

From: Romano Giannetti
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 11:41:27 EST

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 01:30:27PM -0400, Justin R. Smith wrote:

> Examining the system logs disclosed that someone attempted to hack my
> system at 2331 (the time the clock was frozen at) by trying to initiate
> about 200 ssh connections with randomly generated user ids over a very
> short time (a few seconds).

Probably not the casue. It happens quite often here (followed by me doing a
iptable blocking on the IP and sending a reclamation to the preovider, with
no answer unfortunately) and I never saw problems like the one you describe.

Version is Linux 2.6.11-12mdkcustom, but it happened with vanilla kernel(s)
too, same behavior here.

HTH,
Romano

--
Romano Giannetti - Univ. Pontificia Comillas (Madrid, Spain)
Electronic Engineer - phone +34 915 422 800 ext 2416 fax +34 915 596 569