Re: 2.6.14-rc3-rt2

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 04:36:51 EST

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:10:55AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Found the problem. You're using a 64 bit machine and flags in the
> > acpi code is defined as u32 and not unsigned long. Ingo's tests put
> > some checks in the flags at the MSBs and these are being truncated.
>
> ahh ... I would not be surprised if this caused actual problems on x64
> in the upstream kernel too: using save_flags() over u32 will corrupt a
> word on the stack ...
>
> Andi?

Yes it should be using unsigned long. The actual flag word is still
only 32bit, but the inline assembly expects 64bit. And save_flags
might corrupt the target if it's too small.

Normally you should get a warning from warn_if_not_ulong() though.
You didn't get it in that case? I don't remember any such warnings
from the ACPI code.

Which code does it exactly?

-Andi