MTP - Media Transfer Protocol support

From: Freaky
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 03:08:47 EST

Hey there,

I don't know if this is the right place, but I would like to inquire on the status of MTP support in the kernel.

MTP is a new protocol by Microsoft if I'm not mistaken. It stands for Media Transfer Protocol. It's going to replace the mass storage support on a lot of new MP3 players and from what I've seen, also on other mobile devices like phones and camera's.

MTP, from what I've seen so far, has 2 folders at the moment (atleast on my MP3 device / iRiver T10). Music and Data. Music can only be written by software like Media Player 10, because it has to do with DRM. Data however can be written as a filesystem. The latter is what I would like support for (I don't care about DRM).

Microsoft appearantly publishes the specifications, unfortunately for most of us it's Microsoft word format, in an executable. Would convert this for you, but I don't know how legal that is.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fed98ca6-ca7f-4e60-b88c-c5fce88f3eea&displaylang=en

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. But I figured it needs kernel support first, because the USB device isn't recognized at all. MTP has a general USB interface like mass storage from what I understand, so we'll need drivers for that first I think.

For those interested, PLX appearantly has written something to support MTP on (some?) of their chips for phones. Haven't been able to find the software so far.
http://www.plxtech.com/products/exp_apps/files/ExApps18_MobilePhone.pdf

As always, all you guys do is really appreciated. Keep up the good work.

TIA

Ferry