Re: [ANNOUNCE] Wolf Mountain File System [what's next for the linuxkernel]

From: jmerkey
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 01:00:22 EST

And yes. this will be open source. The designs will be released under the GPL Documentation License, but the code will be under something other than the GPL. I haven't decided just what yet

Jeff

jmerkey wrote:

I haven't written a line of code for this yet on Linux, but I have kept this design in my head and evolved it over the years in the back of my head. Wiki's come close in terms of the ideas but that's only a shadow of what was conceived so long ago. I have watched the industry patiently for many years on this list, waiting, and I have seen some elements of this scheme emerge, but have been disappointed since humans just seem to feel more comfortable inside the box, and not go out of it.

I've worked extensively in the Linux VFS and I/O subsystems and created companies that have sold for millions of dollars with specialized file systems with extreme levels of performance. I believe I can finally pull this off in Linux. This is a big project, and I cannot do it alone. I also dislike the GPL because it concedes control of something kernel.org could copyright as "the organization of kernel.org" and control over the internet and allow healthier businesses to grow around it. I am proposing not just a file system or clustering, but a unique architecture and new communication model for the internet for collaborative sharing at the kernel level with distributed data and routing facilities and disconnectable operations. It does not resemble anything that exists today. This FS will not be released under the GPL but the BSD-mod license on Linux with a kicker that contributors can retain copyrights. Since binary modules are allowed, any contributor gets a share of the booty -- Just for fun. Al Petrofsky and Pamela Jones managed to hornswaggle the Novell Settlement agreement onto the internet, and it speaks for itself. At this point, people I think know there are no IP claims related to any "intallagible knowledge." So now it's time. I have my own NOS, but I had always wanted to share, which for some reason you folks never get that part. I am doing this "Just for Fun" at this point and for no other reason. I dropped the lawsuits and flushed out the turkeys, and its time to get back to work. This time without the "sword of damacles" hanging over my head. It's pretty hard to get the whole internet to hate you, but somehow I succeeded. Now time to pay the dues.
Website is:

en.wikigadugi.org

Post bugs for Linux here.
FTP is:

ftp.wikigadugi.org

Give me a couple of days, and I will be starting on my off time. I work best alone, but we will see how it goes. I've had more than enough of the wire brush of enlightenment in the last year, so I think I'm well on my way to playing better in the sandbox.
White papers will be up in the next several weeks on the wiki. I need to go over with folks who are interested in building a metropolitan area network architecture in a collaborative setting the layout and architecture and it needs to be flushed out. I am doing this for me alone and just for the fun of building it. This is something Novell doesn't have, Darl McSwine doesn't have, and M$ doesn't have. Let's get there first. It will appear FIRST on the Linux Operating System.

Jeff