Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Horst von Brand
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 22:52:50 EST

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 02:47:27PM -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
> > Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

> > > there is no excuse.

> > It's not an excuse, it's part of a coherent view of how things work. Just
> > as Netware used to have its, and DOS had its (sort of). As the world view
> > underneath Unix, it is darn hard to "fix".
> >
> > [This discussion sounds quite a lot like it is /you/ who needs "fixing",
> > i.e., first wrap your head around Unix' ways...]

> asking "ordinary" people to do that is unrealistic: surely you know
> that?

And asking ordinary people to understand the (much more complex and opaque)
idea of "inheriting permissions from directories (sometimes, unless...)" is
surely much easier...

> i just spent two hours helping a friend who wasn't familiar
> with the concept of "give root password for maintenance or
> press ctrl-d" they'd been pressing ctrl-d because it said so
> and now i'm going to have a 5-hour round-trip journey and possibly
> an overnight stay to sort out the mess.

Any suggestion for a better message?

[...]

> example permissions (from postfix.te, policy source version 18):
>
> allow postfix_$1_t { sbin_t bin_t }:dir r_dir_perms;
> allow postfix_$1_t { bin_t usr_t }:lnk_file { getattr read };
> allow postfix_$1_t shell_exec_t:file rx_file_perms;
>
> i am confident enough with selinux to say that those are file
> and directory permissions.

OK, now I know for sure you are just an elaborate troll. SELinux is
/harder/ to grasp than Unix permissions, and /requires/ you to grasp them
as foundation.

[...]

> > > in what way is it possible for linux to fully support the NTFS
> > > filesystem?
> >
> > If you ask me, preferably not at all, just let that unholy mess quietly go
> > the way of the dinosaurs. Sadly, interoperability is required at times,
> > so...
>
> *sigh*, tell me about it. well, when reactos gets its NTFS driver, i
> will be sure to let you know. i promise :)

Great. Just keep in mind that time wasted on LKML is time taken away from
NTFS for ReactOS.