Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 17:49:26 EST

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 03:30:24PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 09:23:56AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> > That's not the point. The point is that Netware has a far superior
> > permission system and I am suggesting the the Linux community learn from
> > it and take advantage of seeing what better looks like and improving itself.
>
> Linux is compatible with unix applications. Netware is not. Supporting
> some useless netware feature at the expense of posix/unix compatibility
> would be insane.
>
> If you can't do it with unix permissions or unix permissions + ACL, you
> don't need to do it at all most likely, and even more likely you

the bastion sftp example i gave which required selinux on top of a much
broader set of POSIX file permissions demonstrates the fallacy of your
statement.

try to achieve the same effect with POSIX - even POSIX ACLs
(uploader only has create and write, not read, not delete;
downloader has read and delete, not write, not create)

and you will fail, miserably, because under POSIX, write implies
create.

l.