Re: [swsusp] separate snapshot functionality to separate file

From: Lorenzo Colitti
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 16:21:58 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
Pavel, at the PM summit, we agreed to work toward getting Suspend2
merged. I've been working since then on cleaning up the code, splitting
the patches up nicely and so on. In the meantime, you seem to have gone
off on a completely different tangent, going right against what we
agreed then.
Sorry about that. At pm summit, I did not know if uswsusp was
feasible. Now I'm pretty sure it is (code works and is stable).

Ok, excuse me for butting in.

I would just like to give the point of view of a user.

I have been using suspend2 probably at least once a day for about a year now, and I love it. I have had zero cases of data corruption, and it's fast, effective, and reliable. I can't say the same about the in-kernel swsusp. When I tried it (once), a few months ago:

- It was dog slow because it doesn't use compression
- Even though it's dog slow, it doesn't save all RAM
- Therefore the machine is dog slow after resume
- It doesn't have a decent UI
- There is no way to abort suspend once it's started. (Whatever others
may say, this /is/ useful, especially when you've forgotten something
and you're in a hurry and don't have two more minutes to waste waiting
for a suspend/resume cycle.)

These points /do/ matter to users: after all, if we all had time to waste we'd never use suspend or S3, we'd just reboot all the time...

I have been waiting for swsusp2 to be merged ever since I started using it. When I read about the discussion at the PM summit, I hoped that this would finally happen. Now I see that it's not, and instead work is going to continue on what is - or at least seemed to be when I tried it - an inferior implementation. From my point of view as a user, this seems silly. There may be all the technical reasons in the world to dislike suspend2; on these, I defer to everyone else, since I'm no kernel hacker. But from the point of view of a user, well, suspend2 is much better.

So, instead of working on getting swsusp, which is still far behind in terms of functionality, up to the level of suspend2, why not work together on merging swsusp2, which is fast, stable and provides what users want and need?

Cheers,
Lorenzo

--
http://www.colitti.com/lorenzo/