Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Julian Blake Kongslie
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 15:42:41 EST

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:27:15 -0700
Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There would be different rights to eack link.

Well, color me confused.

You appear to be saying that the permission on a file differ depending
on which link you are accessing it by. Furthermore, your stance seems to
imply that linking to a file grants either write permission or ownership
on the new link.

So, under this permission model, I could link to /etc/passwd in my
home directory, edit the link to change my UID to zero, then relogin to
the system as an administrator.

Not that I would need to, of course, because any user who owns/could
write to a directory would be able to alter any file on the entire
system. I know they're called "permission" models, but that seems
*extremely* permissive...

--
-Julian Blake Kongslie
<jblake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>