Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Nix
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 15:31:38 EST

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005, Marc Perkel announced authoritatively:
> If the permissions were don'e right in your own directories your
> inherited rights would give your permissions automatically to your
> home directory and all directories uner it. Netware has a concept
> called an inherited rights mask - something Linux lacks. Windows also
> has rights like this and Samba emulates it. So unless root put files
> in your directory and specifically denied you rights to them, you
> would have full rights to your own directory.

I quite forgot the most grotesque problem with this, which in my opinion
completely eliminates the possibility of inherited permissions on any
even vaguely-POSIX-like system.

What happens if you have a file with two links in directories with
different inheritable permissions set? What are its permissions now?
Surely it doesn't depend on where you happened to open it from!

--
`Next: FEMA neglects to take into account the possibility of
fire in Old Balsawood Town (currently in its fifth year of drought