Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 10:25:34 EST

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 07:41:21AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> If you were going to do it right here's what you would do:
>
> People who had files in /tmp would have no rights at all to other users
> /tmp files.
> Listing the dirtectory would only display the files you had some access
> to. If you have no rights you don't even see that the file is there.
> The effect would be like giving people their own tmp directories.

ahh, *sigh*, i remember the days.

in 1989 i looked in /tmp on our sunos 4.1.3 server at
imperial, which was running a bit slow, went "eek, that's
a lot of files in /tmp" and did am rm -fr /tmp.

a few minutes later the sysadmins quite literally stormed in.

apparently the printer queue temp files were stored in /tmp and 100
third year students were all trying to print out their course-work,
last minute.

oops.

yes, imperial college third year theory of computing students of
1987-1990, it was me.

l.