Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Marc Perkel
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 08:22:07 EST

Nikita Danilov wrote:

Marc Perkel writes:

[...]

> Right - that's Unix "inside the box" thinking. The idea is to make the > operating system smarter so that the user doesn't have to deal with > what's computer friendly - but reather what makes sense to the user. > From a user's perspective if you have not rights to access a file then > why should you be allowed to delete it?

Because in Unix a name is not an attribute of a file.

Files are objects that you read, write and truncate. They are
represented by inodes.

Separately from that, there is an indexing structure: directory
tree. Directories map symbolical names to inodes. Obviously, adding a
reference to an index, or removing it from one requires access
permission to the _index_ rather then to the object being referenced.

That two-level model of files and indexing on top of them is essential
to Unix due to the flexibility and conceptual economy it provides.

Now of you think "outside" the Linux box" you can see where people in the real world would expect that if you have no rights to a file to read or write to it that you shouldn't be able to delete it. In the outside world it's "duh - of course"! but for thouse that are in the "Unix Cult" you can't think past inodes.

> > Now - the idea is to create choice. If you need to emulate Unix nehavior > for compatibility that's fine. But I would migrate away from that into a > permissions paradygme that worked like Netware.

And there are people believing that ITS (or VMS, or <insert your first
passion here>...) set the standard to follow. :-)

[...]

> > So - the thread is about the future so I say - time to fix Unix.

One thing is clear: it's too late to fix Netware. Why should Unix
emulate its lethal defects?

Nikita.

Once you'be had Netware permissions - even 1990 Netware permission - you are spoiled and everything else isn't even close.

--
Marc Perkel - marc@xxxxxxxxxx

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com