Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 05:04:09 EST

> > In any case, I think pretty much all of this work lives outside the kernel.
> > There is one side note I'd make about booting - my own boot process has to
> > wait forever for my Adaptec SCSI controller to wake up. It would be
> > interesting if bootup initialization tasks could be organized into dependency
> > levels and run in parallel, though as I'm a beginner to the workings of the
> > kernel I'm not entirely sure how possible this would be.

again - depinit.

the only thing that richard lightman didn't spend time on was the
splitting out of hotplug / hotplug scripts such that depinit could be
told "okay the ethernet's up now, all eth0 dependencies can now proceed"
or "okay the scsi controller is up now, all fstab entries depending
on this controller can now proceed".

richard's example scripts split out "var", "usr", "home", "boot" as
separate dependencies (actually they're symlinks to the "mount"
pseudo-dependency) on which things like pretty much all services
that need to do syslogging depend on the "var" dependency you get the
idea.

so as long as it's hotplug that gets the notifications, great.

if it's _not_ hotplug that's receiving the notifications, such that
device driver initialisation cannot be delayed because you're looking at
calling some boot-rom initialisation stuff, then, sorry, nope - you're
gonna have to just wait for that SCSI controller to get its act
together :)

but again, this is off-topic for the original discussion and is again
userspace not kernel oh well, in for a penny in for a pound.

l.