Re: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx intothe kernel

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 10:27:03 EST

Luben Tuikov wrote:
On 10/04/05 10:54, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Luben Tuikov wrote:

The reason of all this hoopla is that James B, wants to decree
that LSI/MPT is the norm and everything else (USB/SAS/SBP) is
the exception, while in fact it is the other way around.

False. You continue to misunderstand basic stuff about the SCSI core.

Let me repeat: LSI/MPT is not the norm and USB/SAS/SBP, i.e. having
an actual transport layer (handling transport tasks, and error recovery)
is the norm.

Don't make stupid bullshit generalizations that I "continue to
misunderstand basic stuff about the SCSI core".

You continue to misunderstand everyone else's opinion. No one is claiming that LSI/MPT is the norm.

The claim is that the transport class is the method through which a transport layer is plugged into the SCSI stack. Pluggable transport classes means that SAS transport layer details go into the SAS transport class (or a helper lib). SPI (parallel/legacy SCSI) transport layer details should move to the SPI transport class.

I've probably misunderstood that LUNs are 32 bit (since SCSI Core
says so) and that REQUEST SENSE clears ACA?

You misunderstood that everybody, but you, has moved on to the "what do we do about this" phase.

But since the layers are completely upside down one compared
to the other, it would be quite messy unless you can separate
the implementations and at one or the other (but not both)
include a basic emulator. If there is no basic emulator then
that part would have to be taken by the LLDD.

Nothing is upside down. Transport details plug into an obvious location -- the transport class, and associated helper libs (if any).

Jeff