Re: 2.6.13.2 crash on shutdown on SMP machine

From: Clemens Koller
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 04:28:59 EST

Hello, Zwane!

You wrote:
memtest and repeated multijob kernel/gcc builds seems to do a very good job. Let me know how the new kernel goes, i'm going to try and see if any of my systems can trigger it.

Okay, I've tried the latest linux' git tree from friday last week:
2.6.14-rc3-something, but the

c010fdd5 send_IPI_mask_bitmask+0x65/0x70
c0110236 smp_send_reschedule+0x16/0x20

still occurs when I want to do a "shutdown -h now".
A reboot or "shutdown -r now" seems to work without any errors (or at least
I cannot see any until the graphcs card get re-initialized)!

All that is on a Tyan Tomcat IIID (S1563D) machine, w/ the latest BIOS (4.02)
APM and ACPI are currently disabled...

Unfortunately, I have had a severe two-at-a-time hard-disk crash on another
machine, which kept me quite busy the last days. :-(
Hopefully, by the end of this week, I will be able to debug into that more...
Can you give me a pointer to some code, where the kernel actually splits
up in between rebooting and halting the system?

Thanks,
--
Clemens Koller

http://www.anagramm.de