Re: AMD Geode GX/LX support

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 15:19:38 EST

On Llu, 2005-10-03 at 13:55 -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> As I mentioned in the previous e-mail, the GEODEGX1 define as it stands
> is incorrect - the cache line size should be 16 bytes for the GX1. The
> GX and LX share a newer core, so it stands, I think that they should have
> a different define.

What makes the cores different ? Cache line size ? If they share the
same kernel options and build then they don't need a new define, the
existing one just need generalising.

> I suppose that I should come with something more solid then a gut feeling,
> though, substantial as my gut may be.

Indeed. With gcc 3.x I ended up with -m486 -falign-functions=0 and that
used to be the settings. I don't know who changed it to pentium-mmx in
the end but I objected to about four different patches that did this
over time and people still kept submitting them.