Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 14:03:34 EST

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 12:32:35PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 22:12:38 EDT, Horst von Brand said:
>
> > > some
> > > operating system primitives, such as message passing (based on a
> > > derivative by thompson of the "alice" project from plessey, imperial and
> > > manchester university in the mid-80s), hardware cache line lookups
> > > (which means instead of linked list searching, the hardware does it for
> > > you in a single cycle), stuff like that.
> >
> > Single CPU cycle for searching data in memory? Impossible.
>
> Well... if it was content-addressable RAM similar to what's already used for
> the hardware TLB's and the like - just that it's one thing to make a 32 or 256
> location content-addressable RAM, and totally another to have multiple megabytes
> of the stuff. :)

aspex microelectronics 4096 2-bit massively parallel SIMD
processor (does 1 terabit-ops / sec @ 250mhz which sounds a
lot until you try to do FPU emulation on it).

each 2-bit processor has 256 bits of content-addressable memory,
which can be 8-bit, 16-bit or 32-bit addressed (to make 4096 parallel
memory searches - in a single cycle).

absolutely friggin blindingly fast for certain issues (video
processing, certain kinds of audio processing - e.g. FFTs,
XML and HTTP parsing), and pissed all over for others such
as doing floating point arithmetic.

but anyway: that's a side issue. thanks for reminding me about CAM,
valdis.

l.