Re: A possible idea for Linux: Save running programs to disk

From: Andrew Haninger
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 13:53:16 EST

On 10/3/05, Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Where are hardware issues with suspend to disk?

Actually, very few currently [AFAIK, on my hardware]. However, at
least in the past, my r200 card wasn't useable after resume from
suspend without patches to XFree86. I know people had trouble with the
fglrx drivers not supporting suspend-to-disk. [I believe current r300
drivers work fine, but I do not have personal confirmation.] I have a
machine that used to have issues because I was using a keyboard and no
mouse. When I resumed, the keyboard didn't work. If I had a mouse
plugged in, suspend/resume worked fine. Here's a link to my mail to
LKML about this issue:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=112139506118959&w=2

As new hardware is introduced and drivers have to be written or
reverse-engineered and kinks worked out, bugs like these will crop up
again and again. [That is, unless manufacturers become more open about
their hardware. From my perspective, they are becoming more closed.
ATI, for example.]

If processes could be suspended to disk independantly of the "physical
state" of the machine, it would avoid issues like these. You could
"suspend-to-disk", install a new video/sound/network card and then
resume as though nothing happened. (Ignoring issues with TCP, of
course.)

Neat.

-Andy