Re: Connection reset by peer - TCP window size oddity ?

From: Martin Drallew
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 12:07:23 EST

Graham Murray <graham@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
I think that you have overlooked one detail in the output. Both
systems have declared window scaling of 2, so when otter sets the
window size of 1984 in the packet it is actually advertising a window
of 7936, which you are not exceeding. You do not say what type of
system otter is (or what OS it is running), so one explanation is that
otter has just mirrored your 'wscale 2' in its SYN-ACK without
actually meaning it.
You're absolutely right of course, not a kernel bug, just dimwittedness on my part. Turning off window scaling does seem to be an effective workaround.
Judging from a quick Google it seems there is still a lot of kit out there that breaks window scaling :(

Many thanks for this and thanks to everyone that replied.

Martin