Re: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx intothe kernel

From: Luben Tuikov
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 09:15:52 EST

On 09/30/05 19:57, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Luben Tuikov wrote:
>
>>MPT-based drivers + James Bottomley's "transport attributes"
>

> You continue to fail to see that a transport class is more than just
> transport attributes.
>
> You continue to fail to see that working on transport class support IS a
> transport layer, that includes management.
>
> Is you don't understand this fundamental stuff, how can we expect you to
> get it right?

>From what I see, because of its *layering* position
JB's "transport attributes" cannot satisfy open transport.

The reason is that MPT-based drivers indeed do need host template
in the LLDD.

Open Transport (SBP/USB/SAS) do not, since the chip is only
an interface to the transport.

The host template is implemented by a transport layer,
say USB Storage or the SAS Transport Layer.

This allows you to do great things, like layer
intersection.

Luben