Re: Why no XML in the Kernel?

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 09:00:16 EST

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 12:02:49PM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Nick Piggin wrote:
>
> >Ahmad Reza Cheraghi wrote:
> >
> >>Can somebody tell me why the Kernel-Development dont
> >>wanne have XML is being used in the Kernel??
> >>

> >Because nobody has come up with a good reason why it
> >should be. Same as anything that isn't in the kernel.
> >
> >Nick
> >
> I have a requirement to pass information from the kernel to user space.
> The information is passed fairly rarely, but over time extra parameters
> are added. At the moment we just use a struct, but that means that the
> kernel and the userspace app have to both keep in step. If something
> like XML was used, we could implement new parameters in the kernel, and
> the user space could just ignore them, until the user space is upgraded.
> XML would initially seem a good idea for this, but are there any methods
> currently used in the kernel that could handle these parameter changes
> over time.

Yes, look at /proc/meminfo for instance. Everytime you need to return
multiple values from a single file, you can easily do it with one key
per line using the following syntax :

key: value [value ...]

It's also how SMTP and HTTP works and servers often send data that most
clients simply ignore.

Regards,
Willy