Re: Strange disk corruption with Linux >= 2.6.13

From: Rogério Brito
Date: Sat Oct 01 2005 - 16:28:48 EST

On Sep 27 2005, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> The board is allowed 1.5GB using 3 x 512M. I believe the 512M modules
> must be double sided to work but I am not 100% sure of that.

Right now, I'm using just a single 512MB module, but it is single-sided
(I guess that by double-sided you guys mean that it has chips on both
sides of the module, right?). The only double-sided module that I have
here is the 256MB module.

OTOH, with just one 512MB everything *seems* to be working fine, but,
honestly, I'm not sure.

> It is also generally unstable if set to anything over PC100 memory speed
> in my experience (my machine has the same board).

Hummm, nice to see that you have also experienced this. With 256 + 128,
I had to use PC100 to have it work stably.

> The memory speed detection doesn't work properly. I have found it
> perfectly stable when set to PC100 in bios and using PC133 memory. It
> seems to prefer having the extra margin.

I'd obviously prefer to have everything working at PC133 speed, but
wouldn't mind running at PC100 speed if I could use everything, since I
sometimes need to use some large programs (for some dynamic programming
problems).

Thanks for sharing your experiences,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@xxxxxxxxxx : http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito