Re: [ANNOUNCE] ktimers subsystem

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 21:46:27 EST

Hi,

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> Each network connection, each disk I/O operation arms a timeout timer to
> cover error conditions. Increasing the load on those increases the
> number of armed timers. At the same time this increased load keeps the
> timers longer active as it takes more time to detect that the "good"
> condition arrived on time.

You're still rather vague here...
Anyway, if the amount of active timer should be a problem, there are ways
to avoid them. For disk io it's rather simple as the timeout is mostly
constant:

start i/o:
req->expire = jiffies + timeout;
list_add_tail(req->list, &timeout_list);
if (!timer_pending(timer)) {
timer->expire = req->expire;
add_timer(timer);
}

timeout function:
req = list_head(&timeout_list);
if (time_after_eq(req->expire, jiffies)) {
// error...
} else {
timer->expire = req->expire;
add_timer(timer);
}

Network timer are a bit more difficult as the timeouts are more dynamic,
but one can at least delay arming the timer in most cases, by running a
timer every x ticks:

start timer:
if (timeout < x)
add_timer();
else
list_add_tail();

timer function:
list_for_each_entry()
add_timer();

Should the action be successfull before the timer runs, it only needs to
remove it from the private list.

> Admittedly everything which is dealing with aspects of time is related,
> but it can and must be seperated into different subsystems, which make
> use of the provided interfaces.
>
> 1. Time tick
>
> - constant frequency tick
>
> Provides interface for:
> reading the current tick count
>
> 2. Time of day
>
> - handles frequency adjustments of the timesource
> - keeps track of monotonic time
> - provides the representation of wall clock time
> - handles the adjustment of wall clock time
>
> Provides interfaces for:
> reading monotonic time
> reading wallclock time
> adjusting the frequency of the time source
> setting wallclock time
>

> Makes possibly use of the interface:
> (Depends on the availability of time sources)
> time tick:read tick count
>
> 3. Timeout API
>
> - Time tick based timer handling
> - Solely used for in kernel purposes
>
> Provides interfaces for:
> adding timers
> modifying timers
> deleting timers
>
> Makes use of the interface:
> time tick:read tick count
>
> 4. Timer API
>
> - monotonic clock based timers
> - realtime (wallclock) clock based timers
> - Mainly intended for application timers
>
> Provides interfaces for:
> adding timers
> modifying timers
> deleting timers
>
> Makes use of the interfaces:
> timeofday: read monotonic time
> timeofday: read wallclock time
>
> So we have four seperate building blocks related to time, but clearly
> seperated.

First, please don't say API if you talk about subsystems, it's not the
same. APIs are part of a subsystem and describe the relationships between
subsystems. I think that caused a major part of the confusion.

I don't completely agree with your picture above and while these
subsystems are mostly separate, they are not independent:

current dependencies:

1. time source ---> 2. wallclock ---> 4. process timer
\-> 3. kernel timer -/

We have currently a very simple time source, which just provides a
nonprogrammable timer interrupt. Process timer are limited in their
(programmable) resolution to kernel.

This maybe also explains better the 3 types of time I mentioned (or
domains if you prefer):
- wallclock time: NTP controlled, only readable and not programmable
- scheduler time: monotonic and unsynchronized, readable and programmable
in HZ resolution
- process time: derived from the first two.

Johns work now (hopefully) integrates wallclock functionality into the
time source:

time source ---> wallclock time
ntp library -/

This means the NTP code becomes a library which can be used by the time
source to provide a synchronized wallclock time.

The next step would be to make the time source programmable, so that we
can get rid of the kernel timer dependency from the process timer:

time source ---> kernel timer
\-> process timer

In this context the main functionality of your patch now finally becomes
understandable: making process timer independent of kernel timer. This
never became clear from your announcement, it talks about a lot of
unrelated problems, but it never gets to the actual problem.

bye, Roman