Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 13:32:27 EST

Sean wrote:
On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:

Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)

FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.

Gene,

While kernel.org snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
might want to consider using git. It reduces the amount you have to
download for each release a lot.

It's really easy to grab a copy of git and use it to grab the kernel:

mkdir kernel
cd kernel
wget http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
tar -xvjf git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
cd git-core-0.99.7
make install
cd ..

git clone \
rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git \
linux

cd linux
git checkout

The above is given as an attachment as well because of annoying word wrap
issues with the long url's. Anyway, after that you can stay current with
the latest Linus release with a simple "git pull".

But that pulls the current tree, doesn't it? Not the git release?

For purposes of bug reporting and fixing, I would think that having some reproducible version is superior. If I say git3, anyone can get it, it would appear that "git pull" isn't as deterministic.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)