Re: I request inclusion of reiser4 in the mainline kernel

From: Nikita Danilov
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 04:55:57 EST

Stephen Pollei writes:
> On 9/19/05, Horst von Brand <vonbrand@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Nikita Danilov <nikita@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > It's other way around: declaration is guarded by the preprocessor
> > > conditional so that nobody accidentally use znode_is_loaded() outside of
> > > the debugging mode.
> >
> > Since when has a missing declaration prevented anyone calling a function in
> > C?!

It issues a warning, which is enough, given that reiser4 code was
warning-free most of the time.

> Never AFAIK... K&R, ANSI,ISO C89, c99, whatever version that I know of...
> You'd need -Werror and -Wmissing-prototype to make that worth it.
> Otherwise the standard says they namesys requested "please make a good

No, evil namesys is not responsible for this, Sir. :-)

> quess as to what the args are...".
> K&R didn't even have the kind of prototypes we know and love today...
> So they shouldn't do this half-ass #if/#endif stuff.. either rip it
> out, or be a man and make the compile fail when someone calls
> znode_is_loaded , if thats what you really want. It's really over
> silly anyway, as it will fail at link time if they had matching
> preprocessor stuff around the function definition.

Failing (with a warning) at compilation is faster. And people are known
to went as far as to select major compiler version based on the
compilation speed.

Nikita.