Re: [patch] stop inotify from sending random DELETE_SELF event underload

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 23:56:46 EST

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Al Viro wrote:

> Could you please describe the semantics of your events?

I think the good news is that we can make up the exact semantics. This
thing is used by things like file managers etc, and we've had very fuzzy
semantics on inotify, while the new dnotify is totally new.

So it's a give-and-take of "what are the semantics people want" and "what
are reasonable semantics from the kernel VFS standpoint". I suspect we're
slowly converging on something that works for both parties ;)

Linus