Re: [patch] stop inotify from sending random DELETE_SELF event under load

From: Al Viro
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 23:25:48 EST

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 09:03:36PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> One possibility is to mark the dentry deleted in d_flags. That would mean
> something like this (against the just-pushed-put v2.6.14-rc2, which has
> my previous hack).
>
> Untested. Al?

Uhh... I still don't understand which behaviour do you want.

* removal of this link, postponed to indefinite future (until we
do not have any users of that dentry) [ new behaviour ]
* moment when the last link is gone _and_ nobody uses any dentries
pointing to object, with information taken from the last one still in use
[ old behaviour ]
* actual destruction of file [ but we won't have any names to report ]
* removal of this link, at the moment when it stops being accessible
[ none of the above, better done from vfs_...() ]