Re: Automatic Configuration of a Kernel

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 20:28:12 EST

Hi,

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Emmanuel Fleury wrote:

> Why not directly having a direct reference to the name of the script ?
>
> config FOO
> bool "foo"
> auto "detect-foo-script"
>
> Where you have a specific directory in scripts/autoconfig/ where you
> store the scripts. Each script output y, n or m.

Unless there is an example, which really needs this, I don't think this is
a good idea. Mainly because I don't like the idea of running random
scripts during the config process, I prefer to keep this a little under
control.

> This scheme seems much simpler to me (and yet not restrictive at all).
> Of course, each script might have to ask few questions to the user as:
> Do you want this FOO support ? [y/m/n]:

This will almost certainly not happen. The autoconfig rules would also be
useful in the graphical config front ends and something like this would
prevent it.

bye, Roman