Re: "Read my lips: no more merges" - aka Linux 2.6.14-rc1

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Tue Sep 13 2005 - 14:57:30 EST

Hi,

On Tuesday, 13 of September 2005 05:34, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Ok, it's been two weeks (actually, two weeks and one day) since 2.6.13,
> and that means that the merge window is closed. I've released a
> 2.6.14-rc1, and we're now all supposed to help just clean up and fix
> everything, and aim for a really solid 2.6.14 release.
>
> Both the diffstat and the shortlog are so big that I can't post them on
> the kernel mailing list without getting the email killed by the size
> restrictions, so there's not a lot to say.
>
> alpha, arm, x86, x86-64, ppc, ia64, mips, sparc, um.. Pretty much every
> architecture got some updates. And an absolutely _huge_ ACPI diff, largely
> because of some re-indentation.
>
> drm, watchdog, hwmon, i2c, infiniband, input layer, md, dvb, v4l, network,
> pci, pcmcia, scsi, usb and sound driver updates. People may appreciate
> that the most common wireless network drivers got merged - centrino
> support is now in the standard kernel.
>
> On the filesystem level, FUSE got merged, and ntfs and xfs got updated. In
> the core VFS layer, the "struct files" thing is now handled with RCU and
> has less expensive locking.
>
> And networking changes.
>
> In other words, a lot of stuff all over the place. Be nice now, and follow
> the rules: put away the new toys, and instead work on making sure the
> stuff that got merged is all solid. Ok?

My AMD64-based box (Asus L5D) does not resume from disk on battery power
any more, even if booted with init=/bin/bash.

I think this is related to Bug #4959, which remains a mistery, but now it
also does not resume with CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB unset.

Andi, is it possible that an MCE occurs when the image is copied (ie. while
the code in arch/x86_64/kernel/suspend_asm.S is being executed)?

Greetings,
Rafael

--
- Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
- That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.