Re: KLive: Linux Kernel Live Usage Monitor

From: tony . luck
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 14:15:16 EST

Do you want to try to handle version skew ? All kernels built
from GIT trees look like 2.6.13 until Linus releases 2.6.14-rc1.
Possible approaches (requiring changes to the kernel Makefile).
1) Use the SHA1 of HEAD to provide a precise identification.
2) Use $(git-rev-tree linus ^v${VERSION}.${PATCHLEVEL}.${SUBLEVEL}${EXTRAVERSION} | wc -l)
to get an approximate distance from the base version

Another version issue is use of "localversion" ... I use it to tag
kernels with a summary of the config file I used during build (e.g.
-tiger-smp, or -generic-up). Looking at the results you've collected
so far, there appear to be a variety of other conventions in use
that prevent aggregation of results.

-Tony