Re: Outdated Sangoma Drivers

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 14:42:55 EST

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 09:01:34PM +0200, Jiri Slaby wrote:
> Simon Morgan napsal(a):
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I couldn't help noticing that the Sangoma drivers distributed with the
> >current kernel are slightly out of date and was wondering whether there
> >was any reason for this?
> >
> >For example the kernel copy of sdla.c was last updated Mar 20, 2001 while
> >the version contained in the drivers distributed on sangoma.com[1] was
> >last updated Dec 15. 2003.
> >
> Hi,
> this is letter from sangoma:
> <cite>
> the sdla.c is not Sangoma's file :) or if it is it should be erased.
> The sdla.c
> has not been used since 2001.
>
> It is true that wanpipe drivers are not part of linux 2.6 kernel. We have
> been so busy developing that there is no way the linux kernel could
> keep up with the changes.
>
> Bottom line we have to put a whole new wanpipe driver into the kernel
> source, and that is a big task.
> It is much easier for us to ask people to use our drivers from the web.
> Once the wanpipe drivers stop changing so fast we will be able
> to push the new release into the kernel. It doesn't make sense to do it
> now
> because if anyone wants to use wanpipe, that person would have to
> get the latest drivers from the web!
> </cite>
>
> So what do you think we would do?
> Add some lines to Kconfig with address of ftp sangoma?
> Delete old version from the tree and wait for the new one?

The common way to handle this is to simply keep the version that is now
in the kernel.

If someone wants to send updates for a driver for review he can always
do so. If they dont want to get their driver updated in the kernel it's
their problem - and not a reason to reward them with a link to their
site.

Oh, one reason why they don't want to submit their latest driver might
be that their driver is using with binary-only code if you activate
their ADSL or ATM code...

OTOH, I don't see a compelling reason for removing the version currently
in the tree (part of the drivers is BROKEN, but even this doesn't do
much harm).

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.